Unlawful Presence Bars & Waivers

unlawful presenceImmigration law bars persons who have accumulated a certain period of unlawful presence (UP) in the US and then left the country from becoming US permanent residents for a period of time unless they first obtain a waiver.

Persons who have accumulated 180 days or more of UP after April 1, 1997, and have then left the country, cannot return to the US for 3 years. Persons who have accumulated one year or more of UP after April 1, 1997, and have then left the country, cannot return to the US for 10 years. Persons who illegally return to the US without seeking a waiver must wait outside the US for a period of 10 years before they can apply for a waiver. The same rule applies to persons who illegally reenter the US after being deported.

On June 24, 2022, USCIS issued policy guidance whereby a noncitizen who again seeks admission more than 3 or 10 years after departure or removal is not inadmissible under INA 212(a)(9)(B), even if the noncitizen returned to the U.S., with or without authorization, during the statutory 3-year or 10-year period.


Client Reviews

Unlawful Presence Bars & Waivers 1

It Was Worth Every Penny

“Our experience with the Law Offices of Carl Shusterman began with a phone conference with Mr. Shusterman himself, which lasted about an hour. We were assigned to the team of Attorney Jennifer Rozdzielski and Ana Cruz. The situation was not an easy one, and it took about three years and a myriad of paperwork to resolve. We got to know both Jennifer and Ana very well in the process. They stayed positive and kept us on track with all the papers and forms and documentation required. I have to say that we were treated like family, and they were excited when we finally achieved our dreams. We are so glad we chose them – it was worth every penny!!”

- James Baker, Portland, Oregon
Read More Reviews

Zoom Consultations Available!

A person can accumulate UP by (1) entering the US without inspection; (2) by overstaying the expiration date on his I-94; or (3) by violating his status if he is notified by the government that he has done so.

A waiver may be obtained by submitting Form I-601 to the USCIS and demonstrating that the person’s US citizen or permanent resident spouse or parent(s) would suffer “extreme hardship” unless the person was granted a waiver.

In 2013, it became possible to obtain an I-601A provisional waiver within the US. A 2016 rule expanded the qualifying relatives needed in order to apply for a provisional waiver.

We hope that the materials linked to below help you to better understand both concepts.

Unlawful Presence & Waivers is divided into the following subsections:

Related pages:



unlawful presence

More success stories…


  • Unlawful Presence Bars and Waivers – Unlawful presence can complicate your return to the US, and applies to persons who: (1) entered the US without inspection; (2) overstayed their visa; or (3) violated their temporary visa status.



  • I-601A Provisional Unlawful Presence Waivers – The Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver (I-601A) allows certain persons to apply for waivers of unlawful presence in the US before going to their home countries for their green card interviews.



What is Extreme Hardship?

Court Opinions and Decisions

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony
Green Cards Through Employment
Green Cards Through Marriage
Immigration Updates
We promise not to spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.
Invalid email address

Decades of Immigration Experience Working for You

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Winning Your Case in Immigration Court

Green Cards through Employment

Green Card through Marriage


View More Videos