Green Cards for Unmarried Sons and Daughters of US Citizens

US citizen parents may apply for green cards for unmarried sons and daughters who are 21 years of age and older. This is true whether their son or daughter has never married or if they are divorced or widowed. Their grandchildren may also immigrate at the same time as their parent as long as they are under the age of 21 and unmarried.

President Trump has suspended the issuance of immigrant visas for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens until the end of 2020. However, unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens who are lawfully present in the US may adjust their status within the U.S.

Only 23,400 persons are able to immigrate to the US annually under this category. Considering that there are over 280,000 people already in line, the wait can be up to 7 or 8 years.

You can stay up-to-date with the waiting times in the Visa Bulletin and other immigration news by subscribing to our Free E-Mail Newsletter.


Client Reviews

Green Cards for Unmarried Sons and Daughters of US Citizens 1

It Was Worth Every Penny

“Our experience with the Law Offices of Carl Shusterman began with a phone conference with Mr. Shusterman himself, which lasted about an hour. We were assigned to the team of Attorney Jennifer Rozdzielski and Ana Cruz. The situation was not an easy one, and it took about three years and a myriad of paperwork to resolve. We got to know both Jennifer and Ana very well in the process. They stayed positive and kept us on track with all the papers and forms and documentation required. I have to say that we were treated like family, and they were excited when we finally achieved our dreams. We are so glad we chose them – it was worth every penny!!”

- James Baker, Portland, Oregon
Read More Reviews


Skype Consultations Available!

If you were born in the Philippines or Mexico, the per-country quotas increase the wait to over 11 years and 20 years, respectively.

Procedure for Sponsoring Green Cards for Unmarried Sons and Daughters

Green Cards for Unmarried Sons and DaughtersTo sponsor your unmarried son/daughter for permanent residence, begin by submitting the following to USCIS:

  • Form I-130 Visa Petition
  • Proof of your US citizenship
  • Evidence of parental relationship

Please note that if your name or the name of your son or daughter has changed since birth, additional paperwork must be submitted. Instructions for proving your relationship can be found on Form I-130.

After receiving the forms, documents and filing fees, the USCIS will review your petition. When the petition is approved and the priority date is reached, your unmarried son or daughter and their children will be interviewed, and if approved, will become lawful permanent residents of the US.

Green Cards for Unmarried Sons and Daughters of US Citizens Links

Over 100 Years of Immigration Experience Working for You

arvo rating shusterman law v2Best Lawyers in America Carl Shusterman Law
Super Lawyers Shusterman LawLexis Nexis Peer Review Rated Shusterman Law

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony

Green Cards through Employment

Green Card through Marriage


View More Videos

Rate this page: