Adjustment of Status

A person who qualifies to be a permanent resident may be able to apply to obtain a green card without leaving the U.S. This procedure is called adjustment of status. When a person applies for adjustment of status, he also applies for a work permit (EAD) and, if he is eligible, for a travel permit (“advance parole”). Generally, an applicant for adjustment of status must have entered the U.S. legally and have never violated his immigration status.

However, there are some exceptions to this general rule.

Section 245(i) of the law provides that certain persons with old priority dates may pay a penalty fee and adjust their status despite entering the U.S. illegally or violating or overstaying their nonimmigrant status.

Section 245(k) provides that if a person is applying for adjustment of status pursuant to an employment-based immigrant visa petition, he is eligible to do so as long as he has not been out of status for over 180 days since his most recent admission to the U.S.

Also, persons who are immediate relatives (parents, spouses and children of U.S. citizens) may adjust their status if they entered the U.S. lawfully even if they overstayed or worked without authorization without having to pay a penalty fee.


Client Reviews

Professional and Knowledgeable Law Firm

“I’ve had a decade of experience with Mr. Shusterman’s law firm. I used them for my immigration needs from H1 to citizenship. It is safe to say this is one of the most competent, professional and knowledgeable law firms. If there is a firm that can handle any possible immigration case routine or otherwise; then this is it.”

- D. Chen, Phoenix, Arizona
Read More Reviews

Skype Consultations Available!

We hope that the following videos, articles and practice advisories assist you in becoming a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. through adjustment of status.

This page is divided into the following sub-sections:

General Information – Adjustment of Status

Videos – Adjustment of Status

  • Adjustment of Status – This video explains “Adjustment of Status”, the process of obtaining permanent residence without having to leave the United States.



  • Adjustment of Status Through Section 245i – Section 245(i) of the immigration law allows certain persons who have overstayed their visas or entered the United States without papers to adjust their status to permanent residents.



Success Stories

Adjustment of Status

Practice Advisory Regarding Adjustment of Status

Permanent Residence and Adjusting Status: Additional Resources

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony
Green Cards Through Employment
Green Cards Through Marriage

Over 100 Years of Immigration Experience Working for You

arvo rating shusterman law v2Best Lawyers in America Carl Shusterman Law
Super Lawyers Shusterman LawLexis Nexis Peer Review Rated Shusterman Law

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony

Green Cards through Employment

Green Card through Marriage


View More Videos

Rate this page: