Physician Shortage Areas

Physician Shortage Areas Foreign-born physicians who wish to stay in the U.S. to practice medicine may first be required to to serve for a number of years in a physician shortage area like a federally-designated medically-underserved area (MUA), a health professional shortage area (HPSA) or for a Medically Underserved Population (MUP).

Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) are designations that indicate health care provider shortages in primary care, dental health; or mental health. These shortages may be geographic-, population-, or facility-based.

Medically-Underserved Areas/Populations are areas or populations designated by Health Resource and Services Administration (HRSA)  as having too few primary care providers, high infant mortality, high poverty or a high elderly population.

An International Medical Graduate (IMG) or a Canadian physician completing a medical residency or fellowship on a J-1 visa usually needs to serve in a physician shortage area for 3 years in order to obtain a waiver of the 2-year home residency requirement. A foreign-born doctor who wishes to obtain a green cards using National Interest Waiver (NIW) must practice in physician shortage areas for 5 years before being granted permanent residence.


Client Reviews

Physician Shortage Areas 1

The Best Lawyer!

“I had the best experience working with Law Offices of Carl Shusterman. The staff is very professional, trustworthy, responsive, knowledgeable and helpful.”

- Dr. R. Khan, Boston, Massachusetts
Read More Reviews

Zoom Consultations Available!

Resources – Physician Shortage Areas

  • What Is Shortage Designation?
  • Find Health Professional Shortage Areas
    Immigration Updates
    We promise not to spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.
    Invalid email address

    Decades of Immigration Experience Working for You

    What Can We Help You With - Videos

    Winning Your Case in Immigration Court

    Green Cards through Employment

    Green Card through Marriage


    View More Videos