Green Cards For Family Members

Each year, over 500,000 persons obtain lawful permanent residence in the US by being sponsored by a relative who is a US citizen or a green card holder. We provide videos and links explaining how you can obtain a green card through family members.

US citizens may sponsor the following relatives for lawful permanent residence: spouses, children, adult sons and daughters, parents and brothers and sisters. Permanent residents are limited to sponsoring spouses, children and unmarried adult sons and daughters.

Except for spouses, children and parents of US citizens who are deemed “immediate relatives”, all other categories of relatives are subject to a numerically-limited preference system.

However, during the month of July 2019, green card holders can sponsor their spouses and unmarried minor children for I-130s and if the spouse/children are in the US and are otherwise eligible, they can file I-485 applications for adjustment of status in July.

The process of sponsoring a relative for permanent residence starts when the US citizen or lawful permanent resident in the US submits an I-130 visa petition to the USCIS. Assuming that the I-130 is approved by the USCIS, this creates a priority date, or a place in line, for their relative, and his or her family, to immigrate to the US.

You can stay up-to-date with the waiting times in the Visa Bulletin and other immigration news by subscribing to our Free E-Mail Newsletter.


Client Reviews

Professionalism and Care

“Mr. Shusterman helped me all the way since I arrived in the USA 17 years ago on a visiting scholar visa until this month when I have become a US citizen.”

- Jose Mediano
Read More Reviews

Skype Consultations Available!

Green Cards for Family Members is divided into the following topics:

Related Pages:

Videos – Green Cards For Family Members

  • How to Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage Immigrants who marry US citizens are considered “immediate relatives” when obtaining green cards, freeing them from quota restrictions and allowing them to adjust their status to permanent residents.



  • Green Cards for Family Members US citizens may sponsor their spouses, parents, children, and siblings for green cards while green card holders may apply for their spouses and unmarried children.






Success Stories : Green Cards for Family Members

More success stories…

General Information – Green Cards For Family Members

Green Cards For Family Members: Additional Resources

Green Cards for Family Members: Practice Advisories

arvo rating shusterman law v2Best Lawyers in America Carl Shusterman Law
Super Lawyers Shusterman LawLexis Nexis Peer Review Rated Shusterman Law

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony

Green Cards Through Employment

Green Cards Through Marriage


View More Videos

Rate this page: