Our Physicians Immigration Guide is for International Medical Graduates (IMGs) and Canadian physicians seeking temporary work visas, J waivers, H-1B visas and permanent residence in the United States.
We also offer practical advice on physician immigration issues that may be of use to physician recruiters, hospital human resource directors and employers of international medical graduates and Canadian physicians.
Physicians who did their medical residencies or fellowship in J exchange visitor status may obtain a waiver of the 2-year home residency requirement under the Conrad 30 program, through a Federal Interested Government Agency (IGA) or through a hardship or persecution waiver.
Highly Competent Legal Services
“I work with Merritt Hawkins, the largest physician search firm in the United States. For over 20 years, we have partnered with The Law Offices of Carl Shusterman, which assists us in obtaining visas for the many international physicians we recruit. Mr. Shusterman and his staff have been an indispensable resource of expertise, allowing us to recruit international doctors in the most efficient manner possible on behalf of our clients.”
- Phil Miller, Merritt Hawkins, Dallas, Texas
Read More Reviews
Skype Consultations Available!
Typically, physicians obtain either a Conrad or a Federal IGA waiver, work for a minimum of 3 years in a medically-underserved area in H-1B status, and obtain permanent residence (aka “green card”) through PERM, a National Interest Waiver or sometimes through marriage to a U.S. citizen.
Our law firm has helped thousands of IMGs and Canadian physicians across the country immigrate to the US during the past 30 years. We specialize in obtaining J visa waivers, H-1B status and permanent residence for physicians.
We hope that the numerous articles, links and videos contained in our Physicians Immigration Guide help demystify the J waiver procedure, how to determine whether your offer of employment is located within a medically underserved area, how to qualify for a National Interest Waiver, etc. We link to the various government agencies that sponsor physicians for J waivers including almost all of the Conrad State 30 programs.
Our Physicians Immigration Guide is divided into the following subtopics:
- General Information
- Success Stories
- Medical Residencies & Fellowships
- Physician Immigration Videos
Related Pages – Physicians Immigration Guide:
- IMG Organizations
- Medically-Underserved Areas
- National Interest Waivers
- J-1 Waivers
- M.D. Employment Opportunities
- Physician Shortage
GENERAL INFORMATION – Physicians Immigration Guide
- Immigration Guidelines for Foreign-Born Physicians
- Physician Immigration FAQ
- Physicians and Immigration FAQ
- Conrad State 30 Program Usage
- Physicians: Test Your Immigration IQ
- USCIS to Resume H-1B Premium Processing for Physicians under the Conrad 30 Waiver Program (6-23-17)
- Matter of T-O-S-U (AAO) – H-1B Status for Physicians of National/International Renown (1-04-17)
- The H-1B Cap and International Physicians, What it Means for Physician Recruiting Professionals (4-14-14)
- Immigration Bills Lowers Hurdles for Foreign-Born Docs – Healthleaders (6-10-13)
- The Conrad 30 and Physicians Access Act (S.616) (3-19-13)
- “The Conrad State 30 Improvement Act” to Provide Incentives for Physicians to Practice in Rural/Medically Underserved Areas (S.1979) (12-13-11)
- Revisions to Adjudicator’s Field Manual (AFM) Regarding Certain Alien Physicians (6-17-09)
- Legal Primer for International Medical Graduates & their Employers – by Carl Shusterman
- Carl Shusterman’s Testimony Before the Senate Advocating an Expansion of the Conrad Program For Physicians (5-22-01)
- Helping a Physician Achieve Permanent Residence (April 2010)
- A Hardship Waiver for a Physician (April 2006)
- Repairing a Broken Immigration Case (March 2006)
- Physician/Researcher: “Who is Extraordinary?” (February 2005)
- Physician: Exceptional Hardship – Mexican Immigrant: Alternate Chargeability (October 2004)
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- United States Medical License Examination
- National Board Of Medical Examiners
MEDICAL RESIDENCIES & FELLOWSHIPS
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates
- Applying to Residencies with Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
- Search the AMA Residency & Fellowship Database
- National Resident Matching Program
- Road to Residency: Kaplan Test Prep
What Can We Help You With - Videos
Green Cards Through Employment
Green Cards Through Marriage