Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage in the United States

Green Card Marriage in U.S.

Obtaining a green card through marriage to a United States citizen can generally be the quickest way to earn permanent residency.

Certain people have the eligibility to apply for permanent residents by obtaining their green card while they are physically present in the United States. Their eligibility is provided through an immediate relative relationship, a relationship that qualifies as an “immediate relative” under the Immigration and Nationality Act is restricted to just three different categories.

One relationship that would qualify is a spouse of a United States citizen. Evidence is required to prove that it is a valid marriage and that therefore the marriage was not entered into fraudulently in order to avoid the immigration laws of the U.S.


Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage in the United States 1 “Very professional law firm. We had a difficult issue and Mr. Shusterman’s office got right onto the case and resolved the issue with USCIS. Because of their efforts, me and my family were able to get our Legal Permanent Residency card. My suggestion to those trying to obtain employment based card. Don’t look for money saving attorney. They will cost you lot more in long run. Go to a law firm which is professional and knowledgeable. It pays in the long term.” (More client reviews…)

Schedule Consultation

Skype Consultations Available!Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage in the United States 2



Application Process

The United States citizen petitioner must file Form I-130 (Petition of Alien Relative). The form is registered with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to determine the relationship of the immigrating immediate relative to the United States Citizen.

renew your green card

Afterwards the immediate relative will file Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status). Again this is registered with USCIS and it is a request for adjustment of status of the immediate relative by petitioning for permanent resident status.

Form I-485 must only be filed whilst the applicant is physically present in the United States. Furthermore Form I-787 will need to be submitted with Form I-485 to establish that the Form I-130 petition is either pending or approved.

(For more information on green cards through marriage , see our “Green Card Through Marriage” page).


Useful Links








Immigration Updates
We promise not to spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.
Invalid email address

Decades of Immigration Experience Working for You

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Winning Your Case in Immigration Court

Green Cards through Employment

Green Card through Marriage


View More Videos