On March 6, 2018, the US Department of Justice filed a lawsuit in Federal Court challenging 3 California immigration laws.
The lawsuit contends that the laws “reflect a deliberate effort by California to obstruct the United States’ enforcement of federal immigration law” and that they “impede consultation and communication between federal and state law enforcement officials.”
California Governor Jerry Brown responded calling the lawsuit a “political stunt”.
Former US Attorney General Eric Holder, Jr. wrote a letter to US Attorney General Jeff Sessions while the California Values Act (SB 54) was being considered by the state legislature stating that while the Federal Government has the authority to enforce US immigration laws, it lacks the power to draft state and local officials to assist them in doing so.
Legal Guru in All Things Immigration
“Mr. Shusterman and his law firm have represented my family and me very successfully. He is not only a legal guru in all things immigration but even more so he is an exceptional human being because he empathizes with his clients and cares that justice is done.”
- Maria Davari Knapp, Chicago, Illinois
Read More Reviews
Skype Consultations Available!
The California immigration laws which are being challenged are as follows:
The California Values Act (SB 54) which also went into effect on January 1, 2018 limits state and local agencies from sharing information with federal officers about criminals or suspects unless they have been convicted of serious crimes.
US Department of Justice Challenges California Immigration Laws
California Immigrant Worker Protection Act (AB 450)
- California Immigrant Worker Protection Act (AB 450)
- Immigrant Worker Protection Act: A Simple Guide for California Employers
- California Immigration Law Places Employers in Tough Position – SHRM (4-23-18)
- Attorney General Becerra Issues Advisory Providing Guidance on the Privacy Requirements of the Immigrant Worker Protection Act (2-13-18)
- California Attorney General’s Advisory on the Immigrant Worker Protection Act (2-13-18)
- Immigrant Worker Protection Act – Frequently Asked Questions (2-13-18)
- California Immigrant Worker Law is a Golden Opportunity for Jeff Sessions (1-22-18)
California Values Act (SB 54)
- California Values Act (SB 54)
- California Tells Local Law Enforcement to Follow Federal Law – But Not to be Immigration Enforcers (3-28-18)
- California Values Act: Statistical Reporting Requirements (3-28-18)
- Responsibilities of Law Enforcement Agencies Under the California Values Act, the California TRUST Act and the California TRUTH Act (3-28-18)
- SB 54 Fact Sheet by California State Senator Kevin De Leon
- California Lawmakers Approve Landmark ‘Sanctuary State’ Bill to Expand Protections for Immigrants (9-16-17)
- Lawmakers Vote To Make California A ‘Sanctuary State'(9-16-17)
Detention Review Act (AB 103)
We will keep you informed as the lawsuit makes it’s way through the Federal Court system.
What Can We Help You With - Videos
Green Cards Through Employment
Green Cards Through Marriage