Congress has failed to pass significant immigration legislation during past two decades.
Some of the bills passed by Congress have benefited or penalized many immigrants while private bills have been introduced to benefit one immigrant or one family of immigrants.
This page links to the text of some pending immigration bills introduced in the Senate and the House of Representatives. It also links to videos and the text of witness testimony before Congressional Committees and Subcommittees regarding immigration.
Whether you are interested in Comprehensive Immigration Reform, the Secure Borders Act, the DREAM Act, the AgJobs bill, the Domestic Partners bill or any other piece of immigration legislation, this is a good place to begin your research.
We hope that the information contained on this page assists you in understanding how U.S. immigration laws and procedures affect you no matter whether you are a person seeking a visa, a green card or U.S. citizenship, or whether you are an employer sponsoring foreign-born professionals for immigration benefits.
You can stay up-to-date with the waiting times in the Visa Bulletin and other immigration news by subscribing to our Free E-Mail Newsletter.
Carl Shusterman is Simply the Best
“I am a Los Angeles-based news reporter, who hired Carl and his team of attorneys to help me acquire permanent residency in the United States. I was dreading the arduous and bureaucratic process, but Carl and his staff were so professional and efficient, they helped the procedure go very smoothly.”
- Ann S., Santa Clarita, California
Read More Reviews
Zoom Consultations Available!
IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION 2023-2024
- Dignity for Detained Immigrants Act of 2023 (S.1208)
- Fairness for Immigrant Families Act (S.819)
- Immigration Parole Reform Act of 2023 (S.506)
- Secure and Protect Act of 2023 (S.425)
- Dream Act of 2023 (S.365)
- Fairness to Freedom Act of 2023 (H.R.2697)
- American Families United Act (H.R.1698)
- Eliminating Backlogs Act of 2023 (H.R.1535)
- Visa Overstay Enforcement Act of 2023 (H.R.777)
- Border Safety and Security Act of 2023 (H.R.29)
IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION 2019-2020
IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION 2017-2018
- GOP Senators Support the Secure and Succeed Act – Introduced February 2018
- I-Squared Act (S. 2344) – Introduced January 25, 2018
- Securing America’s Future Act of 2018 (H.R. 4760) – Introduced January 10, 2018
- AILA Opposes Scheduled Immigration Bills Before Judiciary Committee (5-18-17)
- RAISE Act of 2017 (S. 354) – Introduced February 13, 2017
- Cotton and Trump Plot Crackdown on Legal Immigration (2-7-17)
- Senate Democrats introduce bill to block Trump Muslim registry (1-5-17)
HOW TO FIND LEGISLATION, REGULATIONS, REPORTS, ETC.
- The Immigration and Nationality Act (USCIS)
- Public Laws Amending the INA (USCIS)
The following information may be useful in conducting your search:
8 C.F.R. Citizenship and Immigration Service
20 C.F.R. Department of Labor (Employment and Training Administration
22 C.F.R. Department of State
29 C.F.R. Department of Labor (Employment Standards Administration)
42 C.F.R. Public Health Service
- USCIS Interpretations
- The Federal Register (Daily listing of Federal Regulations)
- USCIS Federal Register Announcements
- Search the United States Code (Titles 1 – 50)
- How A Bill Becomes A Law
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports
- GAO Report: Action Needed to Address Risks and Strengthen Overstay Enforcement (12-7-11)
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: US IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION
- The Fairness to Freedom Act Will Save Lives (4-19-23)
- Menendez Unveils New Plan To Secure Our Borders by Managing Migration in the Americas (4-18-23)
- House Republicans release sweeping Immigration Bill (4-17-23)
- Bill Summary: Border Safety and Security Act of 2023 (3-31-23)
- Bill Analysis: Eliminating Backlogs Act of 2023 (3-30-23)
- NILC Statement on the Reintroduction of The POWER Act (3-28-23)
- Bill Summary: Regional Immigration and Diplomacy Enforcement (RIDE) Act (3-28-23)
- With Congress stuck, some immigrant advocates go local (3-23-23)
- Statement for the Record U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary Hearing on “Living Up to America’s Promise: The Need to Bolster the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program” (3-22-23)
- Bucshon, Krishnamoorthi Introduce Bill to Improve the Legal Immigration System, Eliminate Visa Backlogs (3-10-23)
- Dream Act of 2023 Priority Bill Spotlight (3-7-23)
- Bill Analysis: The Secure and Protect Act of 2023 (2-17-23)
- Grassley Leads Colleagues In Reintroducing Bill To Rein In Executive Branch Abuse Of Immigration Parole (2-16-23)
- Durbin, Graham Unveil Immigration Legislation at an Urgent Time for Dreamers (2-10-23)
- Biden State of the Union 2023: Challenge Congress to Act on Immigration (2-3-23)
- U.S. Sen. John Cornyn eyes the Seemingly Impossible: a Bipartisan Deal on Immigration (1-18-23)
What Can We Help You With - Videos
Immigration Attorney Carl Shusterman has 40+ years of experience. He served as an attorney for the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) from 1976 until 1982, when he entered private practice. He has testified as an expert witness before the US Senate Immigration Subcommittee. Carl was featured in SuperLawyers Magazine. Today, he serves as Of Counsel to JR Immigration Law Firm.