Spouses from Germany

For many foreign born individuals seeking to obtain residence in the U.S., marriage to a United States citizen or green card holder may open up the doors to this process. The regulations may vary depending on the country the individual is from. In this case, we are going to discuss the procedures required for marrying an individual from Germany.


Spouses from Germany 1“Mr. Carl Michael Shusterman’s firm helped with my Green Card interview process, and I successfully obtained my Green Card soon after. I was very impressed by Mr. Shusterman and his associates’ knowledge, confidence, professionalism, kindness and endless efforts to help with every step of the interview (from preparation, documents, interview, to follow ups.) I would like to express my special appreciation to attorney Ellen Lee and Judy who were extremely hands-on on my case. Their fast responses to my requests, their years of experience and confidence, and their very kindness and patience towards me always made me feel at home. Thank you! I would very much recommend this firm to anyone.” (More client reviews…)


Schedule Consultation

Skype Consultations Available!Spouses from Germany 2



If you and your significant other have not tied the knot quite yet, you have the option of petitioning for him or her to be able to leave Germany and enter the U.S. as your fiancé so that you may have your ceremony in the U.S. You may also choose to get married in your fiancé’s country of origin. In both cases, your fiancé may then apply for a green card once you are married. This petitioning is only possible however if you are a United States citizen, not if you are a green card holder yourself. In order to do this, you must prove:

  • The legal status of the petitioner (either citizen or lawful permanent resident)
  • A legal marriage ceremony will occur in the future, or has already occurred
  • The marriage is not a fraud (a deceptive attempt to obtain a green card)
  • The foreign individual is not deemed “inadmissible” by the government

The fiancé visa is referred to as the K-1 visa. It lasts for a 90 day period for the purposes of holding the wedding ceremony. The fiancé will have to apply for this visa after his or her significant other files a visa petition with the I-129F form and submits it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before leaving Germany.

The process differs slightly for a couple who has already been married and is now applying for a green card for the foreign born individual. This requires filing an I-130 form with the USCIS. Individuals applying through a spouse who is a U.S. citizen may often proceed to the next part of the application process. Individuals applying through a spouse who is a lawful permanent resident however may have to wait for up to two years to enter into this next stage of processing. The next stage involves the foreign spouse submitting forms and holding an interview at a U.S consulate in Germany, otherwise known as consular processing. Although the U.S. has various consulates and diplomatic missions in Germany, only the one in Frankfurt handles immigrant and fiance (K-1) visas. It is important to file the correct forms at the consulate so that they can properly process your request and you can avoid legal trouble upon entry into the U.S.


Once you are married, you will need a legal marriage certificate that validates the ceremony in the country and/or state where it took place. The forms will differ depending on where you get married.
If you have married, or plan to get married in your fiancé or spouse’s home country, you will first need to look into Germany’s requirements for legal marriage.

According to information provided by the U.S. consulate there, the only “legal” German marriages are those performed at a registrar’s office called a Standesamt. You may, if you wish, also hold a religious ceremony, but it won’t count for U.S. immigration purposes.

At a minimum, you (and in some instances, your German fiance) will need to prepare the following:

  • Copies of each of your birth certificates, issued within the last six months and containing an official government Apostille stamp. You will likely need to have it translated into German by a state-authorized translator.
  • An “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis” (Certificate of Free Status) for the U.S. citizen or permanent resident, in which you take an oath stating that you are legally able to marry.
  • If either of you has been previously married, proof that the marriage was legally terminated, i.e. through death or divorce. (Certificates must have been issued within the last six months and contain an Apostille stamp.)
  • Your U.S. passport and proof of a visa or lawful residence in Germany.
  • Any other documents or other requirements by the Standesamt (such as blood tests, witnesses at the wedding, and a waiting period). This agency requires that you make an appointment in advance of your marriage in order to discuss its particular requirements in your case.
  • Processing fees.

In the United States the laws will vary depending on which state you decide to hold your nuptials. It is important to view the marriage laws in your state so that you may be fully equipped to perform your ceremony, whether in Germany or the United States.






Immigration Updates
We promise not to spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.
Invalid email address

Decades of Immigration Experience Working for You

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Winning Your Case in Immigration Court

Green Cards through Employment

Green Card through Marriage


View More Videos