US Citizens – Green Cards for Your Married Children

If you are a citizen of the United States you are eligible to sponsor your married children for US green cards. Their spouses and children, if unmarried and under the age of 21, may also immigrate with them. If their children turn 21 during the petitioning process, they can subtract the time that your visa petition was pending from their ages at the time that their priority date becomes current under the Child Status Protection Act.

President Trump has suspended the issuance of immigrant visas for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens until the end of 2020. However, married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens who are lawfully present in the US may adjust their status within the U.S.

Green Cards for Your Married Children can be a lengthy process due to US immigration laws which limit the number persons that are able to immigrate in this category each year. This number is currently set at 23,400 persons annually and considering over 800,000 people are already waiting in line, it will take about 10 to 11 years until they are able to immigrate. There are also country quotas in place which will increase the waiting time for those who were born in the Philippines and Mexico to over 20 years.

You can stay up-to-date with the waiting times in the Visa Bulletin and other immigration news by subscribing to our Free E-Mail Newsletter.


Client Reviews

US Citizens - Green Cards for Your Married Children 1

They Are About Providing Solutions

“I am an Internationally Educated Nurse petitioned by US employer and the Law Offices of Carl Shusterman helped me throughout the entire process of my IV application. They were extremely thorough with regard to the instructions and the steps that I needed.”

- Francis R., Nashville, Tennessee
Read More Reviews

Skype Consultations Available!

If you wish to begin the petition process, you will need to submit the following forms and documentation to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • Form I-130 Visa Petition
  • Proof of your US citizenship
  • Evidence of your parental relationship

Based on your situation, proof of your relationship to your children can be shown through:

  • Son or daughter’s birth certificate and your marriage certificate
  • Documents showing death or divorce of your previous spouses

If you are a step-parent or parent through adoption then refer to Form I-130 for further instructions. In order for your son or daughters spouse to immigrate with them you must submit their marriage certificate as well as documentation of the termination of any previous marriages.

It is important to note that if your name or the name of your son or daughter has changed since birth, you must submit further documentation showing the legality of the name change.

After all necessary forms and documents have been submitted to the USCIS and all filing fees paid, they will review your case. If approved, your married children, and their spouses and children, will receive green cards and become lawful permanent residents of the United States.

Green Cards for your Married Children – Links


Over 100 Years of Immigration Experience Working for You

arvo rating shusterman law v2Best Lawyers in America Carl Shusterman Law
Super Lawyers Shusterman LawLexis Nexis Peer Review Rated Shusterman Law

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony

Green Cards through Employment

Green Card through Marriage


View More Videos

Rate this page: